The Material ConneXion team spread out across New York City last week to scope out the various events taking place for NYCxDESIGN, New York City’s official citywide celebration of design.
Spanning all disciplines of design, NYCxDESIGN creates a collaborative platform for cultural and commercial opportunities, elevates established and emerging design practices and increases awareness of and appreciation for design by all audiences. Here, we’ve curated our top five finds – if you’re interested in the full NY Design Week report, please reach out to us at moc.n1547651987oixen1547651987nocla1547651987ireta1547651987m@ofn1547651987i1547651987.
1. TWNS + Wallpaper Projects – SIGHT UNSEEN OFFSITE: Fabric material with a self-adhesive backing making wallpapers accessible and easy-to-use. All papers are custom made, and this design is inspired by radiant auras.
2. Studio Martens & Visser – Reflecting HOLONS – WANTED DESIGN NYC: Celebrating the ephemeral magic of light and movement, these HOLONS are made from long strips of dichroic film combined with simple spinning elektromotors. The result is a visual entity, reflecting the lights around it as if they were water drops.
3. TWYLA – SIGHT UNSEEN OFFSITE: TWYLA is a start-up making affordable art, and has integrated VR technology into their display, which showcased their prints situated in a room among 2017’s biggest interior design trends.
4. TOKIO. Furniture & Lighting – ICFF: Launching their newest piece at ICFF, TOKIO showcased TRILIGHT, a modular, LED lighting fixture. This geometric-patterned, dimensional form utilizes technology, as well as advanced manufacturing and assembly techniques.
5. CHERRY @ Petite Friture – ICFF: These light fixtures have taken metal-like effects and metal finishes to the next level by combining aluminum, grained epoxy point, mirror-finish steel, and plexiglass.